Monday, December 10, 2007

Music

Another way to expand your mind is through music, all styles. The best musicians are free of all thought when then play.They feel it out, get in the zone and go. They know there are only twelve notes to choose from and it's their job to mix them up anyway they can.

I often try this when I start a new project, free my mind of my style and what others are doing and just create. At the end of the day I'm looking to see if I've learned anything new. Once you are in the rhythm and momentum kicks in it carries you to the end result. Just like music.

A great example of free thinking is slide guitarist Derek Trucks. He incorporates many styles of music into his own.When he plays he is almost emotionless but what comes through his hands is what he's feeling. If we could all tap into our own creativity that way.

I will post two videos of him. The first will be with The Allman Brothers Band which he is a part of and the second will be him playing with Eric Clapton. Clapton doesn't have him up there because he's a great guitar player, he has him there because he inspires the shit out of him. Even the most celebrated need motivation. If you like his playing go to the iTunes store and search for The Derek Trucks Band.

I hope the blog is living up to it's name.

1 comment:

Stupid Photographer said...

Thus far it's surpassing its name. Put up Pretentious Survey and find out just how pretentious it really is.